prose by amanda

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Wait a minute....

I was thrown there for a minute when I tried to update my blog and then it made me switch things over to this 'new' version. I guess I knew that I had to, I was just putting it off. Apparently a few clicks is just too much energy for me to expend.

Well, now that that is done I can continue with my post. I have been trying to think of how I wanted to use this blog, considering that lately it has mainly been an outlet for my whining. I despise that about myself and shall try to avoid writing a blog that's sole purpose is to whine.

As I am looking out my window right now I am reminded of much I love Michigan. I guess I will never understand how people cannot appreciate the beauty of winter. I think snowy rooftops and tree branches that look like glass are so wonderful and just make me feel like I am in a movie. Wow..that was a little romantic, especially for me.

I suppose today's entry will be full of random musings about random things, as there are no big or even mildly interesting events going on in my life. I do, however, have a rather interesting story I will share with my dear, few readers.

This afternoon I went to a baby shower for one of my co-worker's daughter. Yeah, I know that I didn't have to go as it wasn't even a co-worker but this woman has always been nice to me and considering the situation I am about to explain, I felt my support would be appreciated. Maybe on some level anyways. Okay, this woman's daughter is only 16. Now, as sad as that is, it gets even worse.(can it really?)

I walk into the shower with another coworker and am not even acknowledged by the girl. Mind you, we are walking in with a HUGE gift....but I digress. She only looks at us when her mother makes her say hello to us. Um, hi? No thank you for coming to my shower. No humility at all. This girl is 16 and has the attitude that we should or wanted to be there. As we didn't know anyone else there, we only planned on staying for about an hour. Well, after an hour and half and no action...we say goodbye to our friend and she has to make her daughter say goodbye. After the daughter says goodbye she doesn't even say thank you. Her mom reminds her to thank us and then we leave.

I suppose I am telling you this because I can't seem to grasp the fact that a 16 year that got knocked up is allowed to EXPECT things from people. Well, that was certainly the impression I got. Not an ounce of embarassment for her situation. Not any slight bit of humility, of gratefullness. Not an iota. I started out not wanting to go but feeling as though it could be cool. No, I left feeling such negative feelings that I want to scream. I guess I need to accept that everyone in America thinks they are entitled to things, regardless of their actions. I mean, I may be harping about something trite, but it isn't to me. A girl who is in a situation like this should be grateful that her mother didn't kick her ass out, as many women would. And then for her family to throw a wonderful shower for her? That is almost bordering on a joke. Yet, I guess we were the bigger fools for getting her a damn swing and rewarding her for acting like a tramp. Oooh, that was mean...but I guess I am justified when she isn't grateful that people who don't even know her are willing to come and spend their hard earned money on her because we care about her mother...then what else is it than a reward? Go ahead honey, get yourself into a world of a mess, and we'll give you presents.

Well, maybe this was whiny. I like to think of it as more of a musing on America and its' values.

Although I certainly shouldn't have to state the obvious, I will anyhow...

I do think that her mom is awesome for not kicking her out, as she needs her mom now more than ever. I just worried that this came off as some pro-kicking teens out on the street kinda person. Not at all. But man you can bet my kids will know how to say thank you when someone walks in with a frickin' gift for them. Ok-off my pedestal for now!

Have a great weekend!

4 Comments:

At 4:08 PM PST , Blogger Barbnocity said...

Wow--unbelievable!! I mean, what a nice mom for having her a shower and all, but she sounds kinda spoiled--I can't believe didn't even acknowledge you until forced.

You are way nicer than me to go to this shower in the first place (I realize you didn't know what the girl was like before going, but man...still)

:) Barbnocity

 
At 5:37 PM PST , Blogger Hawksbill said...

Hmm... you can tell where my heads at... I just skimmed your post before reading it and saw this:

"I walk into the shower with another coworker and am not even acknowledged by the girl."

And I thought... wow, that's really rude. If you're going to take a shower with someone, they should at least acknowledge that you're there!

 
At 4:06 PM PST , Blogger Housefairy said...

Hahaha Hawksbill

This is so rude and weird. A baby shower is a tradition that stems out of the real need of most new parents for supplies for the baby, and, out of a sense of community and support, there is a celebration for the mother (and partner/father when applicable) in the form of advice, well-wishes, and a general day of rest, refreshement and cheer.

Although I will readily debate the "necessity" of probably 95% of baby-items that people have come to expect, babies' supplies can add up, and easing this financial burden on a young couple, or especially, a pregnant teenager, can make all the difference in the world. BUT IT IS NOT OWED to you. You dont by default AUTOMATICALLY "get" deluxe stroller systems, magic music swings, piles of 5 piece outfits, and 3 playpens. Its sick and sad consumerism at its yuckiest.
When special celebrations get overtaken by fear-based greed ("I cant possibly bring baby home without an eletronic bassinette!")it can get real expensive, real mandatory-seeming, and of course, the spirit of the thing gets lost under so many big pink gift bags.

I think Ill go write a blog about baby showers!

But youre a trooper, and she sounds like a worse than average disconnected brat. I hope they all do okay and that the baby and mother come through well.

I am seeing more and more how expensive it can be to have a job!!!!

 
At 4:44 PM PST , Blogger Amanda said...

Thanks everyone! I feel better that I am not being what I consider my 'normal bitchy' self!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home