prose by amanda

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Shit and Sunshine

Ok, Well, I had a rather topsy-turvy day yesterday.

Actually, it started the night before.....

Two nights ago I was watching T.V. with Jake when I suddenly notice that I am no longer just chewing on the food I put in my mouth. No! I am chewing on pieces of my back molar. Nice. So I take a minute to be thankful for the fact that my dental insurance actually starts the very next day and I try to forget about it.

The next morning I call and get in at the dentist which equates to my having to take a half day at work. Ok-not that terrible, except that I get to the dentist to find out I need a root-canal/crown deal. I have pretty awful teeth so I'm not surprised and just happy I have insurance and won't have to look like white trash with missing teeth. (sorry to anyone who has missing teeth and are offended-but it is justa self-image thing)

During the whole appointment I am just eager to get home because my furniture was delievered in the morning and I can't wait to see it! I had a feeling of foreboding the entire morning but I tried to brush it off as my normal worrying. Well....can you guess? I get home and I notice that they sent the wrong chair. Of course. I try not to cry because I know it will get fixed one day in the distant/near future(its relative) and I have jake call the powers that be to arrange the correction. It will be at least another 8-10 weeks for the correct chair to arrive. Grrr!

At this point I am suffering from a swollen aching cheek/mouth and frustration due to my utter disappointment that my living room will not be the swanky envy-inducing room I had pictured. Ok. Perhaps my pride needs a little reining in.

There were two bright spots in my otherwise dark day. I found out I got a raise...nothing crazy but still enough to make me feel good. My sweet younger brother contributed $100.00 to the grocery fund so I was able to go to Kroger last night and replenish our cupboards for $92.00, so I was happy. (kroger has some awesome deals right now..)

When I got to work today(a half an hour early to help make up my missed dental time) I get a couple of envelopes from my boss. She smiles and tells me that the envelope marked 'confidential' is just that and I should keep it under wraps. I agree and after she walks away I open it and it just states my new pay rate and wishes me a happy holiday from the surgeons I work for. It comes with a mini box of chocolates. Apparently because I wasn't even here for a full 90 days when they wrote it up, I only get a box of chocolates as my bonus this year. Normally if you are an employee that has been here under a year you get a $50.00 gift card and then after a year you get a week's pay. I guess because my 90 day probationary period just ended I only get chocolate.

I kind of feel this is a slap in the face considering that I did just get a raise prior to my 90 day anniversary. So I am a good enough worker to reward with a raise earlier than most people but I also dont' deserve more than chocolates? Yeah, yeah I should be grateful. But I'm not. I'm disappointed that every little victory I achieve comes with a blatant downside!

Ok, "Pity-fest 2006" is over for now! HAPPY THANKSGIVING!(is this me being ironic?)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home