prose by amanda

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I + 1

During any sort of learning process it is known that you should use the input that the learner already knows and teach them something that is just above what they currently know. The theory is called, I + 1....i have learned it in conjunction with Second Language Learning, but I feel that it can be used across the board in regards to learning. That said.......

I am training for my new position today and for the next couple of weeks. Not terribly exciting and the job itself won't be too hard and certainly will not tap into all the knowledge I have hopefully absorbed in my looong college career. While I can tell that the job, once learned, is not difficult, I dont' feel that they are teaching me the new skills in a constructive way at all. It will take me twice as long to learn the programs as opposed to if they used the technique i described above. They should take what I currently do and know and build on that. Not just throw several computer programs at me and expect me to not feel overwhelmed by the amount of steps it takes to complete something pretty damn simple.

This is always where I fear my mouth will hurt my career. I am sorely tempted to explain a better method for these things and show how it could improve things around here. I don't get the impression that training or management tips would be desired or appreciated! Now, I dont' mean this in as negatively a way that it will seem but:IT SUCKS TO FEEL AND BE SMARTER THAN MOST OF YOUR COLLEAGUES AND UPPER MANANGEMENT!! I feel that I should have known that this would be a problem considering that most of the people here are not educated and this is their CAREER. Not a decent job to get them through college or to gain experience.

Ok, now my little blog on learning techniques has turned into a rant on work. Not interesting, not fun so I shall stop!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home