prose by amanda

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Long weekends

For years, well practically since I started working, I have had to work on the weekends. I longed for days of doing whatever it was that other people did on the weekends. When Jake and I got married we both had to work weekends and just dreamt of a time when we could enjoy a couple of days together doing various household and life chores. The time has come with our recently acquired jobs. We both love the fact that we are making more money and have our weekends to ourselves. WAIT A MINUTE! That is the big joke that no one ever lets you in on. While you are toiling away for years longing for a saturday and sunday of sleeping in and doing 'whatever' everyone around you just nods sympathetically and tells you that it sucks having to work on weekends. Well, I am beginning to wonder. On the first few weekends we had together we felt blissful. We went to the farmers market that was held at the end of our street every weekend in the summer. We had no clue because we were normally at work. We felt like we had won some magical prize that was uniquely special to us. We shopped together, did various errands that felt like fun and we even slept in beyond 6:30am. Then it started and hasn't let up since. Every weekend there is a new 'must' go to event that has drained much of the fun out of the weekend. I'm not talking about the little things like birthday parties or showers. Those are fun and something we look forward to. No, I am talking about the 'family gatherings' or the 'help us do this' events that turn a peaceful saturday into a day of dread. Perhaps we should learn to say, "Sorry, can't make it" but then we feel like we are being sneaky jerks!

We haven't skipped out on anything yet without a real, legitimate reason. The time is coming soon where we may just have to put our collective feet down. I'm not talking about shutting ourselves in for the weekend and only emerging to get the mail. I'm moreso talking about telling our parents, "sorry, we have a life and cannot have it revolve around you anymore." Sounds harsh but even though it has been ages since we have left the womb, our dear dear parents feel as though anything we do must not be nearly as important as what they want us to do. Sigh....

Well, next weekend can be a test. I dont' think there are any plans at all on Friday night especially now that Jake has had to drop his friday night class. So right now Friday is clear. Saturday is clear but on Saturday night there is another family obligation that just may find itself on the wrong side of our 'must do' list. Sunday we have a birthday party that we are looking forward to going to and that seems like a big enough plan for the weekend. A birthday party and leaving the rest up to chance. That is my idea of a weekend. Just a hint of structure and the rest is up to us. I am hoping to make this be the plan all weeklong. Normally around Wednesday I start to lose my cool and commit to things before I really think them through and then bemoan my foolish mouth and saying yes when I really mean no. Wait, am I talking about plans anymore?

That said, we'll see if I can't refrain from asking any acquaintance the following question "so what are you doing this weekend?" this always turns into making plans or having to awkwardly lie about what is going on in your own schedule so you don't commit to anything else. Always seems to be an innocent question but it always seems to lead to plans! AHHH!

Ok, I am done with my babbling on plans. I'll see you all this weekend. ;o)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home