prose by amanda

Thursday, November 02, 2006

WEB MD

Yesterday I had to skate out of work a whole hour and a half early to go to a doctors appointment. The doctor who did my surgery, Dr. Krause, requests that his patients come in for frequent check-ups post-op. At least for the first year. Let me note that the best thing about this doctor is that he looks like Niles Crane from the T.V. show Frasier. I like this man way too much based on this fact. Because of my love for a television character I overlook anything I may not like in my doctor. This may be an issue if he was my primary care doctor but I only really see him for periodic maintenence at this point but I digress....

So I do my thing and get into the little room waiting for him to come in. The assistant weighs me and I have only lost 5 pounds in the last 2-3 months. Not such a great thing considering that I should have only plateaued for maybe a month at most. Ok, whatever, I suck. I tell him I understand that I must get the weight moving again and then he asks me about how often I work out. This is a MAJOR factor in losing weight, as we all know, and I have failed miserably at achieving even a mild routine involving movement. I tell him that I surely do work out almost every day by going on walks and doing Pilates. Um, lies. We both knew I was lying, but frankly, I couldn't be judged even more than I was for not losing weight. I just wasn't in the mood. My laziness has caused me to blatantly lie to a health care provider that only wants me to lose weight. Not such a crime. Blah Blah Blah. Jake found this highly amusing which in turn made me feel not so bad.

To the more interesting part of the appointment-I asked him if he would give me the go-ahead when I was allowed to get pregnant. He looked at me kind of shocked. I thought this was weird considering that I am 25. Prime child-bearing years. He tells me what I already knew-Most people are recommended to wait at least a year and a half after surgery to get pregnant. I knew this but hoped that he would have bumped it up or something. I was stupidly hopeful. Sure, he and I both want me to lose more weight first, but it is a little sad to me that I have to wait until I am 27. A year from now is when I am 'allowed' to get pregant. I guess it isn't that far away but I feel like I am going to be the only person with a baby and everyone else is going to have older kids and, oh i dunno. I am probably just sad because I want a baby now and no other answer would have made me happy, even if I know that it would be better healthwise and financially for us to wait. That said, next fall is going to be all about getting pregnant come hell or highwater.

On another note, two exams next week and an outline with 10(!!) sources for a research paper all due. This means my weekend is going to be spent researching and studying just enough for me to scrape some b's and c's. I don't even care about a's anymore. This 'A' student has given up and just wants to get the fuck out of college. Kind of ridiculous really when you think of the fact that I would like to be a college professor. I swear it though, if I ever do become a professor or T.A., I will always give my students at least one day of no class in the middle of the semester, just to be nice. It is soo easy to get burnt out by November.

Ok, I have been at work for over a half and hour and I should start working.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home