prose by amanda

Monday, November 27, 2006

Let Us Give Thanks.........

Thanksgiving has come and gone and I am still here so that is something....

Jake and I started our long weekend by hanging out with Steve and Joy where we seemed to get on each others nerves by merely breathing. Maybe it is playing any sort of game together. Jake and I just get beyond annoyed with each other when we are competing, even in the minorest of ways-I'm talking Scattegories. Oh well, when we got in the car I asked him what the deal was and then it was over. I am really happy that we don't really 'fight' and can just admit that we were being jerks.

Anyways, Thanksgiving was spent at my grandpas 100+ degree house. Always fun but I must remember to wear a tank top when going there. We had to be sneaky and leave a door open when he wasn't looking. A rather small group was there for dinner, ahem, i mean lunch(1:30???) and then we played a game and talked. It was nice. As we were sitting around bullshitting my uncle looks at me and says(judgingly??) :

"you don't really drink do you?"

This doesn't seem like a loaded question but it is. Well, in my family drinking is not just a sport, it is just what you do. Always. Any situation is appropriate for alcohol. I am not mad about this but this question should reflect the importance of the drink in my family. For someone to notice and comment, in front of everyone? I do actually drink on occasion but can't all the often due to stomach surgeries that I have had. One drink equals like 5 to me and then I go from sober to trashed. No middle ground- nice buzz. Not always fun! I am really thankful for this because I think that alcoholism runs in my family so I am not all that attracted to having a drink attached to my palm at all times. The problem I am pointing out is that this makes me a square in my family. It is also common for them to drink and get quite inebriated and then laugh about how they dont' know how they got home. I really really really dont' find this funny. I find it nauseating. If I try to talk about it say, to my mom, I am treated as ridiculous. It is maddening. It is attitudes like that which make me want to never drink in front of my family just to prove a point. It isn't necessary to have fun.

Now that I have whined about this I am sure I do come off a little edgy but I'd rather be edgy than a drunk. People act like you can have a big sit-down with family members and air your feelings and then hug it out. That shit just isn't realistic for about 99.9% of families that I know. You can almost never explain your worries or concern without causing some sort of family drama. Or you are butting into things that aren't your business.

Well, with all that said, I really want to set forth a new motion-let's spend holidays with people we actually WANT to spend time with! Zany though it is, why do we do this? Why do we sit with people we love but don't exactly like? WHY??? Just to say that the holidays were 'okay' instead of 'WONDERFUL!!" why??? Ok, i got completely off track but that's okay!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home