prose by amanda

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Weekend Fun Times?

As it is Memorial Day Weekend, I felt that Jake and I had to get out of the house. While I, for the most part, would be content to chill at home all weekend and do a lot of nothing, I know that Jake enjoys doing stuff. Yesterday we went to Harsen's Island. My grandpa has a cottage up there that I have gone to all my life. My absolute favorite memories involve "the cottage." Although things have been different up there ever since my Grandma passed away last March.

With the ever-present sadness of losing my Grandma and then having to go to the place that reminds me most of her, we left amid a down-pour. I think that should have tipped me off. I knew that if we didn't go my family and mostly my Mom would make me feel like a bad member of the family. So we went and brought Moxie. BAD IDEA. There were a total of 7 dogs up there. That's right. I should have turned right around and got back in the car. For a place that had rarely been host to a four-legged friend, it looked like a freakin' kennel. I guess the new theme in my large family is to have a dog. My mom has 6 brothers and sisters. Each one of the 'sub-families' had a dog. I thought Moxie would be alone...hahaha. She was just attacked and harassed by every dog there and spent the majority of our stay in either my lap or in Jake's lap. Clearly we did not spend the night or even make it a really long stay.

Because Jake and I both took off Tuesday to turn our weekend into a mini-vacay, we had hoped for lots of fun and stuff to do. Then the reality of having no money set in. I was stupid and took a day off last pay period and then Jake got a ticket. Because I opted to not take a paid day off my check was short and then the problem was doubled by the fact that we had to have funds for the ticket. That left us with about $0.00 to have fun with. I knew we had to plan for the whole 'cottage' experience and thus bought lots of food to take up there. Considering that we left due to the doggy day care, we spent a lot of money on food that was never touched by us. I guess we donated to the group who will spend the whole 3 day weekend up there. Nice. Now that I think about it, I had some steaks marinating that sound really good right now, I hope the family enjoy them. ;)

Of course... we could get loads of housework done, but that really isn't what a vacation is all about right? We did indulge and dip into the 'rent' fund and went and saw a matinee of Pirates of the Carribean. It was okay and it felt like a major indulgence. I dont know the last time I went to a movie. Let me just put this out there- movie theaters must find a better system for ensuring that your popcorn is buttered. Putting some butter on the top layer is bullshit. If I am going to pay $100.00 for some popcorn, I want that shit to be buttered and salted to perfection, throughout the ENTIRE bag. That is truly the main reason I go to a movie, the popcorn. It is not nearly as good at home. Okay, now that I sound like a true fatty, I am done.

Maybe tomorrow will bring some excitement. Maybe tomorrow will bring the resolve I need to get cleaning. Maybe tomorrow will bring me the clarity I need to learn how to enjoy a day off and just relax.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home